- Baltic Exchange Freight and Commodities Forum, Copenhagen
On 27 September 2018, the Baltic Exchange will be holding its Freight and Commodities Forum in Copenhagen.
The event will open with a networking lunch followed by sessions on:
- Commercial Impact of the 2020 Sulphur Cap
- Dry Market Outlook
- Bulk Commodity Trends
- Dry Benchmark Revisions
- Freight Risk Management
The forum is open to member companies and invited guests only.
The event will commence with a networking lunch at 1 pm.
To view the full programme, click here.
To register, click here.
- Baltic Tanker Market Session, Copenhagen
On the morning of 27 September, the Baltic Tanker Market Session will bring together clients and brokers from across the European wet markets to hear freight and commodity output forecasts from leading analyst as well as updates on benchmark revisions and proposals. This will be followed by a networking lunch for all market participants.
Part of the Baltic Exchange Freight & Commodities Forum
The session will take place between 11.30 am – 1 pm.
To view the full programme, click here.
To register, click here.
- Member update: 01 August
The following individuals have applied for Membership under an existing member company:
South32 Marketing Pte Ltd
Ms J Yen
Ms M Bertzeletou
Island View Shipping (a division of Grindrod Shipping Pte Ltd)
Mr A J Munro
Any comments should be passed to Karen Karanicholas by 08 August 2018.
- Job opportunity: Senior Freight Market Reporter
The ongoing growth of the Baltic Exchange and exciting development of its products and services, has created an opportunity for an experienced Senior Freight Market Reporter to join our team based in Singapore.
Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer and working closely with the Freight Market Team in London, the successful applicant will oversee the quality production of Dry, Wet, LPG & LNG indices assessed from Asia. The role is also responsible for coordinating R&D into new freight indices using trade flow trends & competitive intelligence, and broadly promoting the Baltic’s services to the Asian shipping & financial communities.
Being a confident communicator, with significant experience in shipping and a solid understanding of all aspects of physical and paper trading, the successful candidate will be well positioned to manage the day to day relationships with Baltic Asia panellists, collecting and analysing their daily reports, and challenge and audit their routes and benchmarks. The position will also work with vendors/channel partners in Asia to manage content marketing.
The role will suit a self-motivated, proactive individual, with experience in managing small/growing teams, and able to work and coordinate with remote teams. Good presentation and interpersonal skills will enable to post holder to be an effective representative of the Baltic (and SGX) to exchanges, regulators, industry bodies and the rest of the shipping community.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience, include:
- Minimum 10-15 years’ shipping experience, preferably as both Principal and Broker on Dry Bulk and ideally Tankers.
- Good general knowledge & ability to competently run voyage calculations and vessel comparisons.
- Experience of team/people management.
- Ability to persuade others to give information on the market and clarify fixtures.
- Authority and knowledge to challenge the assessments with Panellists.
- Extensive knowledge of all the Indices, procedures and Guide to Market Benchmarks.
- Wide knowledge of Baltic membership and the Baltic ethos
- Ideally will have been a Baltic member.
Applications would, therefore, be welcome from candidates who are:
- Veterans within shipping with a solid understanding of chartering all vessel types, trades and FFA’s enabling them to interface and collaborate credibly with the market, senior management and stakeholders.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and make decisions within a tight time constraint.
- Highly organised with the highest standards of accuracy and precision.
- Strong communicators with excellent English language and written skills with Chinese or Asian language skills providing a significant advantage.
Interested candidates are invited to send an application to Sharon O’Ryan.
- OSCAR Dragon Boat Race 2018
The annual OSCAR Dragon Boat race takes place on Friday 14 September in Canary Wharf to raise money for Great Ormond Street Hospital through the OSCAR Campaign.
Competing against other companies in two heats of 250m races, the top six teams will battle it out in a final. No rowing experience necessary, there will be a safety briefing and demo before you begin. Each team is comprised of 11 participants: 10 rowers and one drummer. Please do invite spectators along to cheer you on, GOSH will encourage them to make a donation on arrival.
For more information or to register your interest, please email Sian Simpson at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone her on 020 3841 3135.
- Seaview Sailing Weekend
Come and enjoy a weekend of sailing and socialising on the Isle of Wight. The Seaview Sailing Weekend is open to company teams (three or more people) as well as individuals of all abilities teaming-up. Split into six short races aboard Mermaid boats, sailors range from expert to learner, offering competition at all levels.
There will be ample opportunities for comparing notes and socialising from arrival on Friday, 7 September evening through to lunch on Sunday, 9 September including around a three-course dinner at the Yacht Club on Saturday night with late bar, tombola and prize giving. To find out more, email Philip Bacon, AM Nomikos (UK) Ltd.
Photos from previous events can be found here.
Recent entries in the Regatta include:
Lykiardopulo & Co
Howe Robinson Shipbrokers
Holman, Fenwick & Willan
Peter Dohle Schiffahrts
- Baltic Exchange Golf Society: Company Cup
The Baltic Exchange Golf Society (BEGS) Company Cup will take place on Thursday 13 September at The Shire London, the UK’s only Seve Ballesteros designed course.
The Company Cup is open to all shipbroking golfers, with the format below:
- Two-person teams, competing in four balls over one round on the Seve Ballesteros Master’s course.
- Stableford scoring system, with the combined score counting to each two-person team.
- Each team does NOT have to consist of employees from the same company, clients/visitors are welcomed.
- Teams can be two principals from the same company or different offices, a principal and a broker or two brokers.
- There is no limit on the number of teams any one company wishes to enter, the more the merrier.
- There will be additional prizes for nearest to the pin, longest drive in the rough and longest drive on the fairway.
- Baltic Exchange is looking for a sponsor for a hole in one competition on one Par 3, with a car as the prize.
- Official handicap certificates are not required, but anyone playing off 24 or higher that does not have an official club handicap cannot score more than 30pts.
- This event can contribute as one of the sports for the overall David Bradley Cup winner.
Running times are as follows:
08:30 – Arrival time, bacon roll & coffee
09:15 – Tee off for morning 9 holes (front 9)
12:45 – Sit down lunch
14:00 – Tee off for 18 holes
19:00 – Drinks/prize giving
(All times are approximate & subject to change.)
Availability is on a first come first served basis.
Anyone interested in registering should contact James Pendered.
- Passing of Baltic Member, Kenneth Mason
Members will have recently learnt with regret of the death of Kenneth Mason on 27 July 2018.
Mr Mason first became a Baltic member in 1951. He represented Wm Shyvers Shipping as their Principal from 1973 – 1989 and in 1990 became a Retired Member.
The funeral will be held at 3.30pm on 14 August 2018 at Three Counties Crematorium, Braintree, Essex.