The ongoing growth of the Baltic Exchange and exciting development of its products and services, has created an opportunity for an experienced Senior Freight Market Reporter to join our team based in Singapore.
Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer and working closely with the Freight Market Team in London, the successful applicant will oversee the quality production of Dry, Wet, LPG & LNG indices assessed from Asia. The role is also responsible for coordinating R&D into new freight indices using trade flow trends & competitive intelligence, and broadly promoting the Baltic’s services to the Asian shipping & financial communities.
Being a confident communicator, with significant experience in shipping and a solid understanding of all aspects of physical and paper trading, the successful candidate will be well positioned to manage the day to day relationships with Baltic Asia panellists, collecting and analysing their daily reports, and challenge and audit their routes and benchmarks. The position will also work with vendors/channel partners in Asia to manage content marketing.
The role will suit a self-motivated, proactive individual, with experience in managing small/growing teams, and able to work and coordinate with remote teams. Good presentation and interpersonal skills will enable to post holder to be an effective representative of the Baltic (and SGX) to exchanges, regulators, industry bodies and the rest of the shipping community.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience, include:
- Minimum 10-15 years’ shipping experience, preferably as both Principal and Broker on Dry Bulk and ideally Tankers.
- Good general knowledge & ability to competently run voyage calculations and vessel comparisons.
- Experience of team/people management.
- Ability to persuade others to give information on the market and clarify fixtures.
- Authority and knowledge to challenge the assessments with Panellists.
- Extensive knowledge of all the Indices, procedures and Guide to Market Benchmarks.
- Wide knowledge of Baltic membership and the Baltic ethos
- Ideally will have been a Baltic member.
Applications would, therefore, be welcome from candidates who are:
- Veterans within shipping with a solid understanding of chartering all vessel types, trades and FFA’s enabling them to interface and collaborate credibly with the market, senior management and stakeholders.
- Able to handle multiple priorities and make decisions within a tight time constraint.
- Highly organised with the highest standards of accuracy and precision.
- Strong communicators with excellent English language and written skills with Chinese or Asian language skills providing a significant advantage.
Interested candidates are invited to send an application to Sharon O’Ryan.