Six Month Internship – Data Analytics – London Based
London Living Wage
Through the Baltic Briefing, we hope our membership network will help unearth a talented young student who would benefit from a six month internship and an opportunity to develop their skills and experience in the world of maritime data. The ideal candidate would have studied finance or computer/data science or equally well suited to the role would be a financially astute humanities student comfortable with handling and understanding financial data.
The Baltic Exchange lies at the heart of the maritime industry and is on an exciting journey to develop new markets and leverage its data. It is therefore is a great place to gain experience at the start of a career in Data/Financial analysis. Working closely with our Data Leader, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop and support interesting projects in data analytics and data reporting and tasks will include;
- Daily monitoring and updating of clearing house transaction histories
- Transforming excel datasets for further analysis
- Assisting with member and mailing database management
- Creating visualisations and graphs to support others in the Baltic team.
Applications would be welcome from candidates who meet the following essential requirements:
- Studying or recently completed their studies in data, finance or a related field.
- Have an aptitude for working with Office 365, with a high level of proficiency in Excel and confident in problem solving and conducting quantitative online research.
- Able to demonstrate an intellectual curiosity and a passion for all things data including data processing, analysis, visualisation and descriptive statistics.
- Enthusiastic to learn about shipping markets and derivatives, comfortable with financial market data and have basic understanding of the futures market.
- Methodical in their approach with an eye for detail and pride in the accuracy of their work.
- Have a good academic standing, proficient in English, and hold the appropriate right to work in the UK for the duration of the internship.
- Have a professional attitude, adaptable and the ability to relate well to others.
The intern will be based in our London office at St Mary Axe and will be required for a period of approximately six months, although there may be some flexibility around the length of the internship.
If you know someone who fits the bill, has recently graduated or is looking for some work experience as part of their development or studies, and is available to start in the next few weeks, then please get them to pop their CV and covering letter across to Sharon O’Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.